WestVirginiaCemeteryPreservationAssociation

Historic Church

Church Name: Mt. Olive E.U.B. Church
(a.k.a. Barnett's Chapel)

Date Congregation Founded:
Date Present Church Building Built:

1856
August 1891
County: Jackson Founding Denomination: United Brethren
USGS Quad: Elmwood Condition of church building/grounds**: Good (April 2004)
Coordinates: 38.7040N  81.7975W Preservation Outlook:  
Maintained by: Unknown

Construction:

Concrete block
Property owner:   Unknown
Date added to WVCPA register: April 2004  Data Updated: 07 September 2012
Accessibility: Easily accessible. Located west of Rockcastle, WV near the present Mason County line near the highest point of Cain Ridge (Rockcastle, and Mount Olive Church and cemetery, were once located in Mason County).

** Condition of church building and grounds as observed on the given date - may not be representative of care at other times of the year
Scale: Excellent - Good - Fair - Poor - Abandoned

Click thumbnail photos below to enlarge


Mount Olive Church, Jackson County, WV


 

"The Mount Olive E.U.B. Church is located near Rockcastle, was organized in 1856, and was originally named Barnett Chapel .  Mrs. Lucretia Barnette was the first member of the church and the presiding elders were Moses Michaels and the Rev. W.H. Miles.  In later years the church became part of the Rockcastle Circuit and the church organization is no longer in existence."

Mount Olive Church, Jackson County, WV

Mount Olive Church, Jackson County, WV


Mount Olive Church, Jackson County, WV
    Mount Olive Church, Jackson County, WV

 

"The efforts of the early United Brethren Church found in Jackson County a fertile field for development. In 1856, the United Brethren Church at Rockcastle was constituted. It was first called Barnett's Chapel because of numerous families by that name in the Rockcastle area. These were the charter members: Mr. and Mrs. Laban Hill, Mr. and Mrs. John Stone, Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Morrison, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Casto, Mrs. Lucretia ( Pink ) Barnett whose life extended well beyond the century mark, and others." 

[from a WVCPA contributor, as taken from a newspaper clipping from the Jackson Herald - date unknown]

Quoted from a submission by local historian Lorraine Barnette in "Jackson County West Virginia Past and Present 1990", page 48, published by the Jackson County Historical Society - from information in earlier article in the Jackson Herald

Additional background research in progress. Contributions of historical accounts of this church are welcomed.


Comments:

We would love to add old photos of this church - particularly from the time before the present concrete block structure.  Does anyone have any more history of this congregation to share, or any information on its present status, ownership and use? Contact us at .

WVCPA Home Page


Adopted Cemeteries Adopted Churches Cemetery Readings Current Projects Favorite Inscriptions In The News Our Mission Resources Our Vision What Can I Do? What's New? Who Are We? WV Cemeteries



Updated: 07 September 2012