WestVirginiaCemeteryPreservationAssociation

Cemetery Reading - In Progress

Cemetery Name:

Falls

Falls Cemetery, Greenbrier Co., West Virginia  Falls Cemetery, Greenbrier Co., West Virginia

Click on images to enlarge

County: Greenbrier
USGS Quad: Lewisburg   Map
Coordinates: 37.7912N  -80.5436W
Maintained by: Falls family
Land owner: Unknown
Date added to WVCPA register: October 2006
Condition of cemetery**: Good (2010)
Accessibility: This cemetery is located on the central portion of Muddy Creek Mountain, Greenbrier County, about 1/2 mile SW from Janes Chapel Church and roughly equidistant from Lewisburg, Ronceverte, and Alderson WV. The cemetery is 50-100 yards up a small hill from the public road. To see a listing of burials and tombstone photos, check out the findagrave.com web site for this cemetery while we make updates to this page [click here]  
** Condition of cemetery as observed on the given date -
may not be representative of care at other times of the year
Scale: Excellent - Good - Fair - Poor - Abandoned

Last Name: First Name: Born: Died: Inscription: Photo: Source:
        [being transcribed for this page - see findagrave link above]   Source: WVCPA contributor Bruce Chase

 

Comments: 

Falls Cemetery, Greenbrier Co., West Virginia
Memorial Day Service 2012 by the local
VFW - photo courtesy of Kenneth Dosier

Dates or text in Red are not inscribed on the tombstone and have either been calculated based on death date or are as a result of research on the individual.

From WVCPA contributor and local researcher, Bruce Chase:

"According to a letter in about 1977 by Lora Zicafoose Chase, "The first church [on this part of Muddy Creek Mountain] was log and stood near the Falls Cemetery" [Tilden Falls homestead].

The Richlands Charge 2002 United Methodist Church Directory states that "...church services were held in the old Fry school house, a log structure named for the land donors, Joseph and Jane Fry".

It is unclear, but this information suggests that the old Fry School may have served as an interim church location in the late 1800s.

Around the turn of the century, land about 1/2 mile to the NE was donated by Jane Hedrick Fry or her family for what became Fry Elementary School and Janes Chapel Church. As shown at 37.79601N -80.53623W. The Church is now located at 37.797N -80.537W.

The cornerstone for the new church was laid in 1902 by Jane's brother, David Tuckwiller Hedrick, along with William Oliver Sampson and others.

The date of the oldest gravesites in the Falls Cemetery is unknown but would almost certainly date to some period of time before the new church was built in 1902. This Cemetery continues to serve this part of Muddy Creek Mountain. Maintenance traditionally has been by members of Janes Chapel Church."

If you have any information to contribute for addition to this page - cemetery reading, photos, etc. - please contact WVCPA at  

If you have questions regarding this cemetery or its care, please contact the Falls family via their contact person: Patty Falls Sampson, 9376 Muddy Creek Mountain Rd., Lewisburg WV 24901

WVCPA Home Page


Adopted Cemeteries Adopted Churches Cemetery Readings Current Projects Favorite Inscriptions In The News Our Mission Resources Our Vision What Can I Do? What's New? Who Are We? WV Cemeteries

 Updated: 26 October 2015